I-70 Travelers: Expect Daily Delays near Boonville Starting July 12
Travel Tools Available to Help
The bridges that carry Interstate 70 over the Lamine River near Boonville are due to get new driving surfaces and other repairs, work that will require closing one bridge at a time resulting in single-lane, head-to-head traffic on I-70 beginning July 12.
The bridge closures are expected to cause significant travel delays, especially on Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays - peak travel days. Traffic studies show westbound traffic will be impacted more than eastbound, due in part to more traffic traveling west and the steeper road grade in the westbound lanes.
MoDOT officials are strongly encouraging I-70 motorists to use alternate east-west routes, such as U.S. Routes 50 and 36, while the project is in progress. (MORE)
Lamine River Bridge Repairs Webpage
Independence Day Travelers Reminded of Missouri River Bridge Closure
Travelers taking to the roads to celebrate the Fourth of July holiday are reminded that just one bridge is carrying both directions of Route 54/63 traffic over the Missouri River in Jefferson City causing some traffic delays during peak travel times.
The westbound bridge closed on May 1 for repainting and general maintenance, and traffic is diverted to the eastbound bridge. The westbound bridge is scheduled to reopen by the end of August.
In addition to the bridge closure, the following access ramps are closed:
- All access ramps from Route 54/63 to and from West Main Street;
- The eastbound on-ramp from McCarty St. to Route 54/63; and
- The westbound on-ramp from Route W to Route 54/63.
Tools Available to Help Bridge Commuters
MoDOT offers a
a variety of tools to help bridge commuters stay informed. (MORE)
Westbound Missouri River Bridge Maintenance Webpage
If you would like to receive periodic email updates on this project, please enter your email address below:
Business Loop Bridge Slide
Here’s a time-lapse video of the June 27 Business Loop bridge slide and other work at Business Loop this past week:
Traffic Impacts Week of July 4
- There will be intermittent lane closures in both the eastbound and westbound lanes of I-70 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. for work at Garth Avenue and Range Line Street.
- Business Loop 70/West Boulevard, all on- and off-ramps at Interstate 70 and Business Loop/West Boulevard and the south outer road (I-70 Drive) remain closed to allow for replacing the I-70 bridge over the business loop and building a dual-lane roundabout on the south side of Business Loop 70.
- I-70 traffic is detoured onto the Business Loop ramps.
- The new I-70 bridge at Business Loop was slid into place on June 27.
You can view the progress at Business Loop on a camera posted on the project website: www.MoDOT.org/ColumbiaBridges.
For more information or to sign up for weekly e-mail updates, visit the project website at: www.modot.org/ColumbiaBridges
Lafayette Street Interchange Project Update
Scheduled Work During the Week of July 4th (please note that all activities and schedules are weather permitting): Contractors will be working on sound walls, grading Lafayette St. and installing sidewalk and curb ramps along Lafayette St.
Upcoming Traffic Impacts:
- The Clark Ave. west bound on ramp to Route 50/63 will close Tuesday, July 5 from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. for soundwall ground work.
- There will be periodic lane drops in the driving lane of the eastbound and westbound U.S. Route 50/63 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, July 3 thru Saturday, July 9 from Monroe St. to Chestnut St.
Helpful Links :
Lafayette Interchange Website
MoDOT Offers Tips for Roundabout Driving
With the opening of the double roundabout interchange at Interstate 70 and Range Line Street in Columbia and roundabouts still to be built at I-70 and Business Loop, MoDOT is offering information on driving roundabouts. (MORE)
Here's an animated video showing how the traffic flow works at the new Range Line interchange:
New Rangeline Interchange - video animation
Gans Creek Outer Road Bridge Replacement is Underway in Columbia
Work to replace the Gans Creek bridge on the Route 63 Outer Road in Boone County is underway. The outer road will be closed between Discovery Parkway and South Brock Rogers Road until early September to accommodate the bridge replacement.
The access point to the outer road from Route 63 just north of Bonne Femme Church Road will also be closed until the new bridge is completed. (MORE)