Prep Work to Begin on I-70 Lamine River Bridges Project
Project Will Have Major Impact on I-70 Travel Later This Summer
JEFFERSON CITY – A highway construction project that will have a major impact on Interstate 70 traffic later this summer will begin prep work next week. Work to repair the eastbound and westbound Interstate 70 bridges over the Lamine River west of Boonville will begin Tuesday, May 31.
Motorists will encounter nightly lane closures on and near the bridge from 6 p.m. until 6 a.m. until early July. One lane of I-70 in each direction will be open at all times. Contractors will be working under the bridge and will be building crossovers for use later this summer when the work will require full bridge closures.
Lamine River Bridge Repairs Webpage
MoDOT Offers Tips for Roundabout Driving
With the opening of the double roundabout interchange at Interstate 70 and Range Line Street in Columbia and roundabouts still to be built at I-70 and Business Loop, MoDOT is offering information on driving roundabouts. (MORE)
Here's an animated video showing how the traffic flow works at the new Range Line interchange.
New Rangeline Interchange - video animation
Columbia I-70 Bridges Project
Traffic Impacts Week of May 30
Range Line Street
The new Range Line bridge is scheduled to be slid into place on Saturday,June 4.
- To prepare for the bridge slide, the following streets and ramps will be closed beginning at 6 p.m. on Friday, June 3:
- Range Line Street at I-70;
- All I-70 on- and off-ramps at Range Line; and
- I-70 eastbound on-ramp at Providence Road.
- Then at 8 p.m., one lane of I-70 in each direction will be closed at Range Line. By 5 a.m. on Saturday, June 4, two westbound lanes of I-70 traffic will be switched to the eastbound Range Line bridge. The eastbound bridge will continue to carry one lane of eastbound traffic, while the other eastbound lane of traffic will be routed down the eastbound off-ramp at Range Line and back up the on-ramp to I-70. The ramp closure and traffic changes will remain in place until 5 a.m. onMonday, June 6.
- Workers will begin to slide the bridge at 7 a.m. on Saturday. The bridge is expected to be in place by noon that day.
- Then, at 8 p.m. on Sunday, one lane of I-70 in each direction will be closed as westbound traffic is shifted to the new westbound I-70 bridge at Range Line. Both eastbound and westbound lanes of I-70 are scheduled to be in their permanent location by 5 a.m. on Monday, June 6.
- The eastbound on-ramp at Providence and the eastbound on- and off-ramps at Range Line will reopen by 6 a.m. Monday. The westbound on- and off-ramps at Range Line will remain closed until 6 p.m. Monday to remove materials used for the bridge slide.
- All work is weather permitting.
- One lane of I-70 in each direction will be closed at Garth Avenue from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday to complete concrete median barrier placement and I-70 striping at Garth.
For more information or to sign up for weekly e-mail updates, visit the project website at: www.modot.org/ColumbiaBridges
Missouri River Bridge Traffic Switch Complete
Work to switch traffic from the westbound Route 54/63 bridge over the Missouri River in Jefferson City to the eastbound bridge so the westbound structure can be painted was completed May 1.
The eastbound bridge has been restriped to carry two lanes of eastbound and two lanes of westbound traffic. Speed limits on and near the bridge are reduced.
In addition to the bridge closure, the following access ramps are now closed:
- All access ramps from Route 54/63 to and from West Main Street;
- The eastbound on-ramp from McCarty St. to Route 54/63; and
- The westbound on-ramp from Route W to Route 54/63.
The westbound bridge will be closed for painting and repairs for about four months.
Tools Available to Help Bridge Commuters
MoDOT offers a
a variety of tools to help bridge commuters stay informed. (MORE)
Westbound Missouri River Bridge Maintenance Webpage
If you would like to receive periodic email updates on this project, please enter your email address below:
Lafayette Street Interchange Project
Scheduled Work During the Week of May 23 (please note that all activities and schedules are weather permitting): Contractors will be drilling footings for sound walls west of Chestnut Street, grading the eastbound U.S. Route 50/63 lanes from the bridge to Monroe Street, working on Lafayette Street to East Miller and washing/staining MSE walls at Lafayette Street. Work will also continue on the MSE walls south of 50/63 at Jackson Street. Eastbound/Southbound lane closures are likely during the week of May 23 for paving operations.
NOTE: There will be periodic lane closures in the driving lane of eastbound Route 50/63 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, May 22 thru Saturday, May 28 from Monroe Street to Chestnut Street.
Helpful Links :
Lafayette Interchange Website
First of Two Boone County Bridge Replacements Underway
Work to replace the Bonne Femme Creek bridge on the Route 63 Outer Road in Boone County is underway. The new bridge, located south of Bonne Femme Church Road, will be wider than the current bridge and will also have new concrete barrier curbs and guardrail.
The road will be closed between Bonne Femme Church Road and Missouri Route 163 until July to accommodate the bridge replacement. (MORE)
DETOUR INFORMATION (Click to Zoom):
Bonne Femme Detour Flyer (PDF)